Here’s what is making news at POA.
At Peninsula Orthopaedic Associates you can rest assured that you will be seen safely for all your orthopaedic needs. We continue to remain vigilant about rigorous disinfecting measures in between each patient as well as at every contact point you may cross during your appointment. Although your appointment may look a little different, you can rest assured that you are still receiving the same, unmatched orthopaedic and physical therapy care.
To provide the safest environment for our patients and staff, we have implemented the following measures:
• All patients are screened at the time of scheduling, through phone and text message appointment reminders, and at the time of check-in for any signs and symptoms of COVID-19, or other flu-like illness.
• Patients exhibiting signs and symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 10 days are asked to reschedule. Signs and symptoms include: fever, cough, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, chills, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, or other flu-like symptoms.
• Patients are required to wear a mask or face covering over their nose and mouth when entering any POA facility.
• Patients are only allowed (1) essential caretaker during appointments, which includes parents of minors and caretakers for patients requiring mental or physical assistance.
• No other visitors will be allowed at POA facilities during this time, such as pharmaceutical company representatives and outside vendors. All those who must visit will be screened prior to entry.
• All magazines, pamphlets, trial-sized samples and snacks have been removed from our offices and waiting areas.
• Exam rooms are thoroughly disinfected and cleaning staff have been provided with detailed, written cleaning protocols and requirements for our clinic facilities including waiting areas, exam rooms, staff work spaces, and restrooms.
• As always, we are using only EPA registered cleaners and disinfectants.
• All “high-touch” surfaces are cleaned numerous times throughout the day.
• Hand sanitizer, tissues, and lined trash receptacles are in place in every waiting area and clinic room for use by our patients.
We are fully prepared to evaluate and care for our patients at this time, and we are taking all possible precautions to protect our patients, their families, our staff and our communities. Thank you for your support and cooperation with these efforts and we look forward to serving you in the upcoming weeks.
(Salisbury, MD)- POA is pleased to announce Dr. Patrick “Andy” Holt as the newest Partner of the Practice. Dr. Holt is the tenth active Partner of POA and joins Drs. Brandon, Petrera, Greco, Trauger, Kang, Scopp, Huber, Adrignolo, and McGovern.
Dr. Holt joined POA in September 2018. Prior to joining POA, Dr. Holt completed his fellowship in hand and microvascular surgery at Duke University as well as his orthopaedic residency at the University of Utah. He also completed a PhD degree at the same time he attended Medical School at the University of Louisville. Drs. Holt and Kang are two of the few fellowship-trained hand surgeons in the region.
Dr. Holt shared, “It is with humility and gratitude that I join the Partners at POA. It has been a tremendous two years and I am looking forward with enthusiasm to many years ahead providing orthopaedic care for patients on the Eastern Shore.”
Dr. Brandon, President of POA, also noted, “Over the last two years, Dr. Holt has continued to demonstrate leadership and exceptional care for all injuries and conditions related to the hand, wrist and elbow. We are fortunate to have someone of Dr. Holt’s caliber at POA.”
To mark this momentous occasion, each newly-appointed Partner receives a commissioned artwork piece that highlights the new Partner’s hobbies and/or specialties. It also lists the date of partnership and the other active partners. Dr. Holt’s artwork depicts his two passions outside of work, hiking and diving. It is truly a beautiful piece created by a local artist, Rachel Alvarez, who also happens to be the daughter of a POA staff member.
Please join us as we congratulate Dr. Holt. We look forward to many more years with Dr. Holt at POA!
POA is introducing a new way to check-in for your appointment. Patients now have the ability to take advantage of a completely contactless check-in process for all appointments at POA. This new check-in process is convenient, touch-free, and does not require you to download an app or require a specific username and password. With just a few clicks on your mobile device you can:
- Check-in and complete registration
- Verify/change your personal information
- Upload photo ID and insurance cards
- Learn about your health insurance benefits
- Make secure payments including co-pays and previous account balances
- Complete forms, consents and policy reviews electronically
How does check-in work?
Pre-Registration: You will receive a 2-day appointment reminder via text message. That text message will include a link to click in order to confirm your upcoming appointment as well as complete pre-registration. You have the ability to verify all your demographic and insurance information, take a picture of yourself, upload your insurance card and photo ID. You will be able to see your insurance benefits, balances due on your account and make a secure payment. You also have the ability to complete and sign any necessary paperwork (if required) all from your mobile device! Once you complete pre-registration, you will be given visit instructions, as well as a QR code and numeric code specific to you.
Express Check-in: You will receive another text message 20 minutes prior to your appointment time that says, “It’s time to check-in for your appointment at POA. Please click the link to check-in.” You will follow the same steps as you did for pre-registration and verify all the information you entered is correct. You will also be able to see if you owe a co-pay and make a secure payment prior to your appointment. Once you complete all the necessary steps, you are officially checked-in! Just let someone at the front desk know when you arrive in the building.
Kiosk Check-in: If you don’t check-in through your mobile device/Express Check-in, you will use one of the iPad Kiosks in the lobby. The kiosk will prompt you to swipe a credit/debit card, scan the QR code or type the numeric code that was provided to you, in order to check-in.
If you don’t have a mobile number or device, don’t worry! We can still help you check-in at the kiosks that will stationed in the lobby. We are excited to provide our patients with a seamless and safe way to check-in for your appointment. We appreciate your patience in the next few weeks as we launch this new check-in process at all POA locations.
Questions or concerns, please give us a call: (410) 749-4154
Dr. James Trauger, one of our Joint Specialists, was recently featured in a 4-part series called Total Knee Arthroplasty: Calipered Kinematic Alignment, sponsored by the International Congress for Joint Reconstruction. In Session 4, Dr. Trauger discusses the differences between Calipered Kinematic Alignment vs. Mechanical Alignment. This is great information to review if you or your loved one are planning to have a total knee replacement in the future.
Link for Video: https://icjr.net/meeting/current-perspectives-in-knee-arthroplasty-calipered-kinematic-alignment
(Dr. Trauger is featured in Session 4, Marker 16:16)
If you have questions or would like to learn more, please call and schedule an appointment with Dr. Trauger. Dr. Trauger conveniently sees patients at 3 POA offices: Salisbury, Berlin and Millsboro. Call Today! (410) 749-4154
We are continuing to serve our communities and find new ways to meet all your orthopaedic needs. We know many of our patients have concerns about going to the emergency room or a traditional urgent care. Our office is open and ready to serve you! We are proud to offer same-day appointments at POA. Simply call or text our office and ask for an urgent care appointment.
It is always our standard practice to follow strict infection control measures at each of our clinic locations in an effort to protect our patients from illness or infection. However, at this point in time, many additional infection control measures have been put into place. You can read a full list of these additional measures here. You can feel confident that you will be safely seen at POA!
Call or text us today! (410) 749-4154
At Peninsula Orthopaedic Associates, the health and safety of our patients and staff are of the utmost importance. We have instituted several new policies and procedures within our clinics, above and beyond our normal cleaning regimens. As Governor Hogan continues to lift restrictions, that enable more patients back in our facilities, we want you to know that you will be seen safely in our clinics. You can read more here.
In accordance with the Governor of Maryland’s orders, face coverings must be worn in indoor public areas. Therefore, all patients and staff who enter any POA facility are required to wear a face covering before entering. A face covering can include items such as a homemade cloth mask, bandanna or scarf, as long as it covers the nose and mouth. Here is an easy tutorial on how to make a homemade mask right at home. All you need is an old t-shirt, bandanna or a small towel and two rubber bands. To watch, click here. Please join us as we do our part to keep patients and staff safe!
With direction from Governor Hogan for the state of Maryland, POA has begun scheduling and performing elective surgical procedures. We are contacting each patient individually to discuss rescheduling your surgical procedure. As of Wednesday May 13, 2020, we will begin surgical procedures first on low-risk patients and then transitioning to patients with moderate health concerns.
You can rest assured that your health and safety remains our top priority. As you prepare for your surgical procedure, POA has created a helpful handout to ensure your safety throughout the entire surgical process. Please take a minute to review as we highlight ways in order to maintain the best surgical outcome and mitigate risk for post-operative complications surrounding COVID-19.
We thank you for your patience and understanding as we try to meet each of your orthopaedic needs as quickly and safely as possible. It is our privilege to serve you. If you have new health concerns or questions surrounding your upcoming procedure please contact us at (410) 749-4154.
At Peninsula Orthopaedic Associates, we place the well-being and safety of our patients above all else. That commitment to your health and safety is driving every decision we are making during this challenging time. We are closely monitoring all developments related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), and adhering to all guidelines issued by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), and our local and state governments.
As our government works to slowly re-open businesses, we are happy to share our COVID-19 journey and plan for re-opening our offices over the coming weeks. This is a brief outline of our commitment to continue to provide quality, safe and accessible orthopaedic care in time of need. We are calling patients to reschedule some elective outpatient surgical procedures as well as clinic appointments. We appreciate your patience and flexibility as this schedule and our services may change with new developments.
Week of March 23
- Salisbury office and Physical Therapy remains open and offers same-day appointments for urgent orthopaedic injuries
Week of March 30
- POA begins Telemedicine (virtual) visits to connect with current orthopaedic and physical therapy patients to address orthopaedic needs from the comfort and safety of your own home
Week of April 20
- Salisbury office introduces walk-in orthopaedic urgent care 9am-4pm daily
Week of May 4
- Berlin office opens for walk-in orthopaedic urgent care Monday-Friday from 9am-4pm
Week of May 11
- Outpatient elective surgical procedures resume at Deer Pointe Surgery Center for select low-risk patient population first then transitioning to patients with more complex medical concerns
- Salisbury and Berlin offices remain open for urgent and non-urgent orthopaedic needs. Additional services offered include: walk-in orthopaedic urgent care
Week of May 25
- All offices closed May 25, 2020. Happy Memorial Day!
- Millsboro office opens Tuesday, May 26, 2020
- Elective surgical procedures resume at PRMC
Week of June 1
- POA will be fully operational. All offices open including: Salisbury & Berlin, MD | Millsboro & Seaford, DE | Physical Therapy
- Elective surgical procedures resume at Nanticoke
To protect our patients and staff we have new processes in place for the foreseeable future. Please read more here. We appreciate your patience during this time and we look forward to working our way back – together!