snowboarder sitting looking out over the snow covered terrain

When to see a doctor for a sports-related injury

Sports-related injuries happen both on and off the field. In fact, they sometimes happen when you least expect it. Today, we continue to see a wide variety of injuries affecting our patient’s joints and bones. Some are minor and can be managed through non-surgical treatment and therapy, while others may be more serious and require surgery. But there is one thing I share with all athletes, trainers and parents – how to recognize a possible injury.

Here are some warning signs that tell you it's time to see an orthopaedic specialist:

  • You are not recovering in your usual period of time from whatever soreness you typically have after the activity.
  • Your pain does not go away with rest and inactivity.
  • You have noticeable instability in your joints.
  • You’re having consistent pain during and/or after exercise and sports.
  • You notice persistent or new swelling around a joint after activity.
  • You are experiencing audible and painful pops.

I also can’t stress enough the importance of allowing your doctor to analyze the way you move to identify the possible biomechanical problem that could be causing your injury.

Patient Education Center